7.04.2010

Austin or Dopey?

I took Austin on a walk and when we got home I noticed some red bumps on his head which I assumed were mosquito bites.  The more I checked him over the more 'bites' I found.  They were everywhere!  I couldn't understand how he could have been eaten up so quickly by mosquitos, especially when I hadn't seen a single one on our walk.  Then I thought... chicken pox!  Jeff and I took off his clothes and he was solid red on his back, belly, under his arms, and under his diaper.  I remember having chicken pox and they sure didn't make me look like I had a nasty sunburn!  So, we concluded he must be having an allergic reaction to something.  I called our doctor and waited to talk to someone for about 20 minutes (why do these things always happen on the weekend?).  After talking to a nurse I sent Jeff to the store to get some Benadryl and I gave him a bath.  The nurse told me if he started drooling or had a hard time swallowing to call 911... Thankfully his breathing was normal, he could swallow fine, and he continued to be in a pretty happy mood.
Austin's ears got extremely swollen which made him look a little bit like Dopey...  I put socks on his hands to keep him from itching and pulling at them.
 After a couple doses of Benadryl and a good nights rest he woke up with only only a few faint spots left around his diaper.  We are pretty sure that it was the banana custard baby food he had for breakfast that caused the reaction - it was a new food.  I hadn't read the ingredients list before I bought it - I figured it was baby food and must be safe for babies.  After he had this allergic reaction I realized it had both milk and eggs in it.  When we've given him tiny tastes of ice cream or whipped cream the skin around his mouth would turn red.  I'm sure it has to be a milk or egg allergy.  Babies aren't supposed to have eggs or regular pasteurized milk until they are a year old anyway... which makes me question why this baby food had milk and eggs in it to begin with. Oh well, I'm sure we will find out more as time goes on, and hopefully he'll grow out of it.  But for now - no milk or dairy products of any kind (except mine of course) and no eggs!

5 comments:

Zack & Brooke said...

Poor little guy! Looks like he was a happy camper through it all. Hopefully it's nothing "too major" and he'll grow out of it. Hope you guys are having a great summer! Miss you tons and hope to finally meet that little man in Sept! Love you guys!

Megan said...

Whoa - that's exactly what I was gonna say - poor little guy! :) He seemed to stay pretty happy though. What a champ. I bet it was kind of scary for you though! Glad he's better.

The Mitchell Family said...

Poor little guy!! It breaks my heart to think how miserable he must be.

Jill Collier said...

That is sad, poor little thing! He is so cute :)

larsen family said...

Wow, scary Amy! I'm glad he is okay! My kids all seem to have milk allergies, although they haven't had such a severe reaction as Austin's. Hopefully he will grow out of it.