10.25.2009

Austin Maeser Mitchell



Little Austin was born October 24, 2009 at 2:21 pm. He is obviously a very punctual individual since he decided to come right on his due date!

Friday was fairly uneventful for me as far as having any signs of imminent labor. My contractions were not too consistent, and I was in absolutely no pain. About 2:30 am Saturday I had a few cramps, but nothing unbearable. At 3 am my water broke and off we went to the hospital. I felt great for the first couple hours at the hospital and was able to breathe through the contractions. Little Austin's heartrate plummeted all of the sudden because the umbilical cord was pinched due to the way I was laying. Three or four nurses came running in and had me rotate and put an internal monitor on his head to keep track of him more accurately. Everything obviously ended up okay, but it was kind of a scary moment for us. I eventually got the epidural around 9 am - boy was that nice! The nurses hooked me up with some Pitocin for a couple of hours to help get things moving until my body took over on its own. Around 1 pm they checked me and I was 5 cm dialated. My body really kicked it into high gear and I dialted from 5 to 10cm in about 45 minutes. It happened so fast that the epidural couldn't keep up and I was back to breathing and doing whatever I could to manage the pain. I told the nurses it was time for me to push and they let me do my thing! Twenty minutes later sweet Austin came into the world - a healthy 7 lbs 11 oz, and 20.5 inches long!!

He is the cutest little guy and we just can't get enough of him. He is a sweet sweet baby and has been so easy going and mellow. Jeff has taken on the role of Daddy wonderfully and does amazing with his new little boy. He has been so incredibly helpful to me - making me icepacks, ordering my meals, adjusting my pillows, and reminding me to rest :) amongst so many other things.

We are so grateful to have this new little person in our lives and know that Heavenly Father has blessed us tremendously in letting him join our family!

6 comments:

Jill Collier said...

Congrats, he is adorable! I'm glad the delivery went okay!

The Mitchell Family said...

California Grandma & Grandpa can hardly wait to meet him.

papa said...

Colorado grand parents say Austin is totally awesome! And his parents ain't too shabby either.

Karen, you better hurry and get here before g-ma Sue kisses Austin's cheeks off!

larsen family said...

Glad to hear that everything went so well with the labor and delivery! Austin is so sweet--we can't wait to meet him!!!

The Mitchell Family said...

I'm really struggling to not be too jealous of the Colorado grandparents!!

Loucks 6 said...

Congratulations!! We can't wait to meet the little guy:) He is so adorable.....keep the pictures coming!