7.11.2012

Projects Part 1

One thing I've really enjoyed about owning a house is having projects.  Is that weird?  I like being able to do various things, whether they are simple decorations, or big maintenance projects that help beautify and improve our home.  We did LOTS of projects/work on the house before we moved in, but we have been continuing in a less extreme manner.

From about October-December I worked on the master bath.  It needed a patch job on the wall behind the toilet which meant that the toilet needed to be put back together, the walls needed to be painted, etc.  It shouldn't have taken me 3 months to finish, but I just worked on it when I felt like it (which wasn't that often - I was a little painted out at this point)
 About four inches behind this wall was a broken pipe that was one of the very first projects we had the plumber work on.  I screwed the piece of drywall back into the stud and patched it up, just like my mother taught me...


 Good as new!
I painted the ceiling and baseboards white with the walls the same color as our bedroom.
Finished product. (I'm discovering what a great product spray paint is.  I wanted Command hooks for the walls and behind the bathroom doors but didn't want to spend $7 for the nice metal ones.  I bought the cheap white multi-packs and used some extra spray paint I had)
Throughout the winter I did mostly indoor decorating projects.
I found these drapes at Bed Bath and Beyond and liked them so much I bought a second set in a different color for the family room.  I made the wall art using an idea from Pinterest. (This website couldn't have become popular at a better time.  I've had so much fun getting ideas for all kinds of things off of Pinterest)

This is another Pinterest craft - I wrapped rubberbands around some vases from our wedding and spraypainted them black.  They fit in with the other decor in our room and bathroom and now we have cool q-tip and toothbrush holders.
Yet again, Pinterest find.  (Jeff makes fun of all my Pinterest activities, but he never complains about the final product.)  Austin's room needed a little something on the walls so I wrapped scrapbook paper around some foam board I had laying around. :)

Once spring hit, Jeff and I decided to restain our deck.  My mom brought up their power washer and we sprayed all the nastiness off of both the deck and the swingset.  Jeff sanded the deck all day - what a way to spend your first Saturday off of work in several months - he was a trooper!  We thought we'd be able to stain the entire thing (2 coats) the following day.  HA!  Projects never go as planned, right?  After a couple hiccups completed the first coat... about 3 weeks after we started.
 Mom really is the queen of projects.  Whenever she comes over she's always ready to get something done.  Thanks Mom!
 Amazing what a good blast of water can do.
Freshly sanded and new color!
First coat complete! 
(We just finished the second coat a few days ago - it only took 3 months - but I still need to take a picture)
It repells water like it should but attracts a lot of bird poop, go figure!

1 comment:

The Mitchell Family said...

I am so impressed! I would never tackle some of the projects that you've taken on.