8.20.2008

What We Did On Our Summer Vacation

I think a quick update is in order considering we haven't made blogging our #1 priority this summer. We've been using our time off from school to work and discuss some seemingly ominous life decisions. After our spring classes were over mid-June, Ernst & Young flew me out to Irvine for their Summer Leadership Program. Essentially all of the conferences I participated in this summer were opportunities to get to know different public accounting firms and meet professionals from the practice.

So, starting with McGladrey, E&Y, and PricewaterhouseCoopers, I am being recruited for something for the first time in my life! Is this what it feels like to be a football player? If only derivative contracts and equity consolidation were as exciting as the flee-flicker pass or the triple option. The Deloitte National Leadership Conference that I attended in Scottsdale was like a professional EFY with lots of free food and soda. We went to a dude ranch and did some service in the downtown Phoenix area in between sessions.

The day after I got back from Arizona, we flew to California for a week to visit my family. While there, we braved the heat of Six Flags Magic Mountain and each of its 13 roller coasters. And even a heavy case of nausea couldn't keep us away from In-N-Out on the way home! We also hit the beach, saw an Angels game, did dinner with some friends, and went to Boomers, where Amy's record against me in miniature golf was upped to 3-0. It was a quick week, but we were glad to spend some time with my sister Stef and her family that live in Arkansas.

Away from the ocean and over the Rockies, we visited Amy's family for a week as well. While in Colorado, I was invited to lunch with two partners from Deloitte's Denver audit practice, and was able to visit their local office and the offices of McGladrey which are, coincidentally, located in the same office building downtown. On Thursday we drove up to Estes Park and up over Trail Ridge Road (the highest paved road in the nation), including an unexpected but beautiful jaunt around the back side of Rocky Mountain National Park to get home! We also enjoyed playing with the kids and bumming out at the pool a little bit.

Well, we've been back in Provo this month trying to make some dough. Last weekend we went camping with our ward up in Mapleton Canyon, a good excuse to buy a new tent and break out our new sleeping bags. It turns out that if you wear a yellow t-shirt, the bugs and crawlers will think you are all the rage! Boy, do I love nature. I saw the Dark Knight twice (once with Amy and once in IMAX). And let's see, you could say I'm pretty enthused for football season. GO COUGARS! That's our concise summer travelogue. Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

The Mitchell Family said...

It's good to have you back -- I always enjoy reading your blogs, they're very entertaining.

Hooper Family said...

I don't remember having action packed summers like that when I was first married!