On a much warmer evening than this one, exactly two years ago, I ventured out to the sand volleyball pit at Stadium Terrace Apartments. I had just reluctantly renewed a contract to live there for the next year. Spring classes had started, but homework was going to have to wait. I had business out there on the court. If I ever had a chance of meeting interesting females while doing something I was good at, volleyball was going to be about my only option. But competitive play was hard to come by at Stadium Terrace. I knew the crowd. Short stumpy guy trying to play at the net? Girl with her hands clasped together tightly who pummels the ball into the bushes? Big dufus who hits the ball over EVERY time on the second touch? Wow, this gets old quickly. But lo, what is this vision on the horizon? Yes, two females. Maybe newbies? Definitely strangers, but females all the same. The one with the long brown hair is pretty cute. But can she PLAY?? Put her on the other team. Now serve it Big Dufus! Yes, yes, pass, set, and take this you vixen! Teach you to tug at my heartstrings while I'm playing volleyball. Whack! Dug. Whaaa?! Did that just happen? Yes, that just happened. The cutie passed up my dagger spike. Guess it's time to hang it up. Hey, she just asked you your name idiot! "I'm Jeff." I felt like saying "I'm Yours." Before I know it, the game is over, and I'm back in my apartment talking to my roommates. "Guys," I said, "I think I am going to ask out that Amy girl sometime." Two years ago today, true story.
Hospital stay and Halloween
10 years ago
6 comments:
Hey! I was that girl who sent the ball into the bushes and hit the ball back on the second pass! Only that was about 12 years ago, not 2. Good old Stadium Terrace. I wonder how many marriages that place has under it's belt?
I had no idea that you were such a romantic! I'm glad that your volleyball skills helped you find your one and only.
I taught you well
yaaaaay!!!!welcome to blogging. Great story and perfect ending. Miss you guys.
Jeff, if you don't make it as an accountant for some reason, you might have a career as an author.
I think you grossly misrepresented the Stadium Terrace volleyball crowd. There were some others, maybe one or two (I'm not going to say any names), who could actually play.
Watch yourself, Jeffrey. Libel is a terrible sin.
Post a Comment